Since the topic of the week has been genealogical research in Putnam County, OH it would not be complete with out covering was of the main repositories in the county at the District Library. AS mentioned previously the permanent collection is normally located at the main library in Ottawa, but has been moved due to the rains in the Spring 0f 2007 to the Ft Jennings library. The information I will cover will be on those records in the collection other than the birth and marriage records listed in earlier postings.
Some of the highlights in the collection are manuscripts of local families genealogies, memorial card collection, obituary index for the Putnam County Sentinel from 1865 to present, fully indexed collection of Putnam County pictures, yearbooks, and vertical file of local history and genealogy.
The newspaper collection is the finest in the county.
- The Continental News Review- 1919-2005
- Delphos Weekly Herald- 1872-1902
- Gilboa Gazette- 1978-1981\
- Kalida Sentinel- 1855-1866
- The Kalida Venture- 1845-1854
- Leipsic Free Press- 1878-1982
- Leipsic Messenger- 1982-2005
- Pandora Times- 1902-1995
- Putnam County Gazette- 1892-1949
- Putnam County Sentinel- 1865- current
- Putnam County Vidette- 1875-1995
- Putnam County Vidette & Pandora Times- 1996-2004
- Western County News- 1931-1947
All of these are on microfilm.
The library also has a complete collection of books related to the counties history and maps.
For further information the staff at the library can be contacted at 419-523-3747 or email@example.com